Sunday, July 19, 2009

At My Desk Tonight

It is so quiet here at home. As i sit at my desk I
hear the occasional sigh from the tiny dog and one of the cats having a little wash. No TV, no radio and no traffic. I find it difficult to believe I am living near the middle of Auckland. I can hear a wheelie bin rumbling down a long driveway in the distance. Although my house is only small it feels huge tonight. I only take up a tiny corner here. I wonder how many other people I could fit in right now?


Time for another coke zero, last one before bed I think. I don't want to stay awake all night on a caffeine high. Ahh, that gassy click as the can opens! It is cold and delicious! I have done a lot today. Most of it boring but at least it is done. I have walked the dog, put the bins out done a mountain of washing stretching to the sky, changed the bed, patted the cat and cooked a hot meal for my husband and I to eat at lunch.

He is out in the cold working tonight, helping the broken down motorists on their way. He sees a lot in his work. He works in small dark corners of peoples lives and gets then moving. Some thank him some don't. He has been doing it for years and has more years to go yet. I miss him when he goes to work. Times are tough at the moment though. I am looking for a job again as I can no longer make a living from Trade me. It was fun while it lasted of course. In fact I would have to say that selling on Trade Me was the very best job I have had. Certainly no where near the highest paid, but the best. It makes me sad that i have to give it all up.

Which brings me to my next question. The recession, what is it? Why did it have to happen? It has messed me up. Money is in short supply but bills are plentiful. I am glad that the only debt we have is a monthly car payment. We got rid of our credit cards over a year ago and do not owe any one else anything. But it is not easy paying the rent each week and buying food and all the boring usuals we all have to deal with. Normally when Jim is on lates I relax and watch TV and make him cups of tea if he comes home for his half hour break. But not tonight! Tonight its all about jobs and grubbing around under the virtual couch cushions for cash! It's very sad and I don't like it! I have applied for 48 jobs so far, I really think that number 48 will be my big break! So I thought I would take a moment and share this, so others out there who are feeling a bit below par can know you are not alone. This is not a whine or a cry for sympathy, just the facts as they stand on July 19 2009. Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment