Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Another thing I love is my Dog.

He is small and warm. He is black and scruffy. He lets me cuddle him and he nudges me with his tiny short nose. He sits behind me while I am working and I can hear him snoring. He likes fluffy toys and has a wagging tail.

I didn't always love him though. I had a business with my friend Tracey. We sold sunglasses for dogs. Doggles. Neither of us had dogs. In fact i had never had a dog only cats. My other friend had a British Bulldog puppy called Annie and she was cute and snuffly and I sometims dog sat her for an hour or two. Because of Annie I changed my opinion on dogs and wanted one.

I went to the petshop to get something for my cat. In the glass cabinet was a tiny black ball of fluffy with a kind of smacked in face! I held it and it loved me. I wanted it with all my heart.

I had to ask the Landlord if I could get a dog and I got a non-committal type answer. I though buggar it I am going to get one.

I kept an eye out on Trade me for this breed, Affenpinscher. Within a couple of weeks there he was! There was him and his brother! I made an appointment to go and see them. By the time Jim and I arrived his brother was sold. The lady that had him had another dog, loads of cats and birds and four kids ranging in age from six days to four years old. I held him and he shook. I put him down and some little Mofo up-ended a box of metal cars on his head. I knew I had to take him.

We took him home with his crate. He shook all the way. We stopped at the supermarket and got him a bed and a back of dog food. From there the nightmare begun.

We got him home and he went and took a huge dump in the bathroom. By morning he was covered in pooh and wee. This was my life for eight months! But after three weeks I was ready to jump off a bridge. I did not know what to do with him and he hated me or so I thought! He shook all day and ate not much of anything. He crapped every where and bit me!

I put him up for sale on Trade Me and got loads of replies. I had all but made up my mind that the Waihi oldies could have him then it dawned on me. A puppy is for life. I wanted to make it work, I needed to! I withdrew the ad and Jim and I went and registered him. That same night we went to puppy pre-school and he had a fantastic time. The class ran from seven till 8.30pm. We left there at about 10.30pm! The ladies there whose lives were dogs helped us no end.

Within 24 hours there was a huge improvement in both me and my little friend. After eight months of rules, boundaries and limitataions I realised I had a friend for life!

I truly love my little dog. He keeps me fit and makes me laugh. I can't leave him to go and work on commission for some sneaky mofo!

No comments:

Post a Comment